Going Nordic skiing in Germany? Look no further than NBF Alpine Adventures Ltd.
The area of the Allgau is a little known gem in the world of Nordic Skiing, With a huge variety of loipes on hundreds of kms. The Allgau can boast some of the best ski areas in the Alps. All of our instructors are British Association of Snowsport Instructors (BASI) qualified and can be booked for private and group instruction. We are also able to offer to children and Novices of all ages, ski classes from 1000hrs -1530hrs, Mon-Fri during the winter season. We are also able to run BASI Qualifications ( for more information look at www.basi.org.uk )
We can ski directly from the front door of the Lodge and its an ideal ski holiday for the whole family. We cater for all abilities and the fitness benefit of nordic skiing is second to none.
We also run BASI courses if you would like to take your passion to the next level and qualify as an instructor, please contact BASI on https://www.basi.org.uk to book.
As one of the top winter sports, Nordic skiing involves the navigation of mountainous snow-covered terrain, most of which relies solely on your body’s own strength and stride rather than the gravity used when going downhill. For this reason, as well as a few others,nordic skiing is an excellent form of physical fitness.
Here are our top reasons for Nordic Skiing:
1. You get a full-body workout. Nordic skiing combines both a lower body and upper body workout, while simultaneously working both the “pulling” and “pushing” muscles of each region. The workout comes in the fact that you use your own locomotion to move through the terrain. Even muscles that don’t seem to be in use are actively involved to balance and coordinate the entire body.
2. Burns lots of calories. Nordic skiing burns more calories than any other form of exercise or sport — up to 1000 calories per hour for vigorous mountaineering, which means you can eat more cake!
3. Improves cardiovascular endurance and health. Nordic skiing is an excellent aerobic workout, and because no single muscle group is overstressed, the activity can be sustained for hours on end. Maintaining an elevated heart rate during exercise can strengthen and improve your heart’s capacity to pump blood efficiently and effectively.
4. You have a higher level of physical fitness. Skiers are about 40 percent fitter than physically fit individuals, suggesting that the full-body workout provided by Nordic Skiing is uniquely effective.
5. It helps relieve stress. Escaping town to the pine forested wild provides you with some very therapeutic thinking time. The peace and tranquillity that comes with snowfall is relaxing, helping you leave your stress behind and give you a renewed sense of calm so you return home feeling refreshed.
6. It’s highly functional. When you Nordic ski, you’re training your body to move in a way that it was designed to move. You’re teaching it to improve the process that makes you more capable in daily movements.
7. It improves endurance. Forget energy drinks. Doing long-distance endurance sports like cross country skiing help improve your aerobic fitness as well as running does, while making you feel ready to burst out of your skin with energy!
8. Excellent form of cross-training. Nordic Skiing is a great way to prepare for summer sports; after skiing, muscles will be better prepared to manage the lactic acid they produce when they are used.
Nordic skiing holidays let you learn without the humiliation of ‘baby slopes’. The Bavarian Alps have superb trails, don’t be fooled though it is tough work, using both arms and legs to propel yourself through blanketed meadows, but also over hills and sometimes uphill.
Nordic skiing has been a common winter activity in most Scandinavian countries for decades and is now becoming more and more popular in Alps. It is the perfect mix between cross-country skiing and ski touring/mountaineering, allowing you to go off piste in the foothills of the Alps and feel the freedom of skiing in the wild.
It allows you the freedom to go off piste everywhere in the foothills of the Alps and feel the freedom of skiing in the wild but doesn't require the technical off piste skills needed for full on ski touring or mountaineering. One of our friendly and professional guides will accompany you tell you about everything you need to know – about the activity and about the region's specifics.
Your first day on the skis is a good warm up and a great introduction to the alpine feel of the area. You’ll spend the next few days exploring the area with your guide, practicing your technique and maybe even trying out a few trails on your own. Your final day will be the highlight of your Nordic skiing experience, when you go up the mountain on your own steam and then ski down in to the valley. You will ski down the woods and then along the untouched banks of the river, where you may spot some of the local fauna while enjoying the spectacular view over the impressive mountains. It will then be time to enjoy some good food and to treat yourself to a good bottle of wine it.
Heubethof – Rustic Bavarian Lodge
In the middle of the nature park Nagelfluh at an altitude of 1000m, our stylish and spacious rustic Bavarian Lodge, set in the foothills of the mountains presents an idyllic retreat. Enjoy the peace and tranquility the mountains have to offer and relax and unwind in the lodges beautiful surroundings. Situated in the Gunzesried valley, the Hubethof provides a unique opportuntity to experience traditional Bavarian hospitality.
Schwäbele Eck – Central Location
The Schwäbele Eck is our family-run guest house and a small hotel for those that enjoy that home from home feel and sense of coziness. Traditional Bavarian hospitality mixed with some stunning Mediterranean cuisine. Ideally situated for those who like a central local in the pedestrian zone of Sonthofen, but within walking distance of the beautiful forest.
Kuehbergalp – Wellness & Spa
Only 15 minutes from Oberstdorf, and right next to beginners’ and intermediates’ area in the Gunzesrieder Valley in the heart of the Allgäu. Everyone feels at home here thanks to the unique charm of the Allgäu. Enjoy the breath-taking views of the valley and the entire Oberstdorf and Hindelanger mountain range, while experience some breath-taking skiing before coming back to recharge your batteries for the next day in spa.
There Allgau region of Bavaria is easily accessible and is well served by several airlines from airports around the UK to Munich, Stuttgart and Memmingen
From the North
Manchester to Stuttgart Tui (www.tuifly.com)
Manchester to Munich Lufthansa (www.lufthansa.com) and (www.flybmi.com)
Edinburgh to Munich Easyjet (www.easyjet.com)
From the Midlands
Birmingham to Stuttgart Fly Be (www.flybmi.com)
Birmingham to Munich Lufthansa (www.lufthansa.com)
From the South
Stansted to Memmingham Ryan Air (www.ryanair.com)
Stansted to Friedrichshafen Ryan Air (www.ryanair.com)
Stansted to Munich Easyjet (www.easyjet.com)
Heathrow to Munich British Airways (www.ba.com)and Lufthansa (www.lufthansa.com)
Heathrow to Stuttgart British Airways (www.ba.com)and Lufthansa (www.lufthansa.com)
From the airport:
Your friendly NBF Alpine Adventures Ltd driver will meet you at the airport and will drive you to your chosen lodge while you sit back and relax. However for those that prefer to make their own way:
Stuttgart and Munich are a two hour drive to reach us and are also served by regular train services to Immenstadt where we can organise a pick up by prior arrangement.
Memmingen is an hours drive and is also served by rail links to Immenstadt www.db.de where we can organise a pick up.
Most major car hire companies are located at the airports. NB: you will need to request Winter Tyres from Nov – Apr
Driving from the UK is also possible. We advise you take the ferry from Dover to Calais or Eurotunnel. On average the journey takes 10 hours from Calais. With a stopover halfway in either France or Gemany this can be a great addition to your trip.
You can now catch the train from London to Stuttgart or Munich by Eurostar and high speed TGV. This journey takes 7 hours, plus a 2 hour stop in Paris. Please visit http://www.seat61.com/Germany.htm for details.
Have a safe journey